[Stoves] Collaborative Stove Design Workshop

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed May 21 15:31:26 CDT 2014

Dear Jock et al

Consider the concept where the Earth is divided into two Zones:
1: The "Biosphere Zone", where plant and animal life exists, and which includes the elements and compounds necessary for sustenance of their lives and existence as living entities.
2: The "Non-Biosphere Zone", containing the elements and compounds that are not accessible by the life forms in the Biosphere.

Clearly, if no additional carbon is brought into the Biosphere, the carbon content of the Biosphere cannot  increase. However, if coal or oil, or other forms of carbon,  are brought into the Biosphere from the "Non-Biosphere", then the carbon content of the Biosphere will be increased. Similarly, if wood from the Biosphere, containing carbon is burned, there is no net addition of carbon to the Biosphere.

The problem with increased CO2 in the Atmosphere fraction of the Biosphere is not combustion, but rather, the problem is the source of the carbon combusted. If the carbon was sourced from the Biosphere, there is no net addition of C to the Biosphere, although there would be a transitory dislocation of carbon from one region of the Biosphere to another.

(See also comments below)