[Stoves] iCan Trash Can Style - very clean burning

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:48:40 CDT 2014

Hi Jock;

Thanks for the photographs and detailed description of your stove.  It is
interesting to see what you are achieving with the "flame turbulence"
hypothesis using your deflector disks.

Is your central flame retention disk above or below the secondary air
inlet?   If it is above the secondary air, have you included your flame
buffer cylinder and paraphernalia?

Once developers like us have some promising prototypes, it will be good if
the investigation is taken-up by a well equipped laboratory, because there
are important variables that we are not equipped to measure.  In
particular, the superficial velocity of primary air, velocity of exhaust
gases with concentration of CO and particulate emissions.  Reaction
temperatures would be useful as well.  The properties of our burners need
to be measured on a variety of fuels, and over a range of superficial
velocities.

At the moment, we are frustrated by being able to make only qualitative
judgments.  But the good thing is that the qualitative observations are
pointing in the right direction for someone to developed a research
proposal to get some solid funding.  Except for the recent article by
Birzer et al., 2013 in the Journal of Humanitarian Engineering, there are
no peer-reviewed articles on the science of natural draft TLUDs.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter