[Stoves] Basics: about self-ignition-temperature/flash-point-temperature

Roberto Poehlmann roberto.poehlmann at gmail.com
Wed May 28 12:16:06 CDT 2014

Martin,

Maybe with the low SIT (self-ignition temperature) of charcoal, and using
the 6 holes below secondary flame for method 2 in the document proposed by
Kirk Harris "Methods of Substantial Turn-down in the TLUD Wood Gas Cook
Stove", you can use this procedure to start a TLUD stove, especially with
wood pellets:

1. add fuel (pellets) to near the level of the 6 (or more) secondary holes.

2. then put a thin layer of charcoal (pellet charcoal from previous
burns) at the same level of the 6 holes.  This charcoal can be soaked
with alcohol, for example.

3. light the stove with a spark to start the fire, and then the
primary air from below plus the primary air from the 6 or more holes
do the rest.

This remember me an experiments i have made with a TLUD stove with
primary air control and a burner type similar to the type named
"concbelow" (concentrator ring below secondary holes) by Julien
Winter.

This TLUD stove can operate to near 2 hours. After 1 hour or less, i
closed the primary air control and closed the upper hole of the
concentrator ring. The stove turned off without smoke.

Then, several hours later, in the evening, i could  restart the stove
with the same remaining fuel, with no addtional pellets . I only put
some alcohol at the top and start the fire with a match or a spark. At
the beginning, the stove start to burn the charcoal with a blue flame,
until the heat or combustion front reach the wood pellets layer. Then
the stove start to functioning again like a normal TLUD stove with
wood pellets.

With this method, you can turn off a TLUD stove, and later restart the
stove with the same remaining fuel (charcoal and fuel).

I will do the same exercise again, to see if i can replicate the experiment.

Cheers

Roberto Poehlmann

Valdivia, Chile