[Stoves] Hottenroths' Stove

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:00:33 CST 2014

Hi Stovers;

I have attached a labeled diagram of the natural draft stove described in
Hottenroths' 1988 patent.

Hottenroth, FW Sr.; Hottenroth, FW Jr..  1988.  Biomass Stove.  US Patent
4,730,597   http://www.google.com/patents/US4730597

It contains a number of interesting design elements.  I suspect that they
were not thinking 'TLUD', but were part prevalent wisdom to add secondary
air to complete the combustion of smoke.  A game changer in the cookstove
world must have been the arrival of pellet fuels: if you loaded your stove
with a batch of pellets, how would you light it?  If you light a few
pellets at the bottom of the stove and then dump in a some more, you
can get a smoky mess.  So, why don't we try to light a batch of pellets at
the top?   Pellets are strikingly different from wood pieces and chips
(which channel fire), in the way they evenly burn from the top down.

While Hottenroths' patent contains some interesting design ideas that may
work very well, I have learned to read patents with caution, because they
often describe early prototypes that still have bugs to be worked out, and
the claims made by patents don't have to be rigorously proven; they are
often wishful thinking.

Elsewhere, in the laboratories of combustion scientists, 'TLUD's had been
used to model moving grate gasifiers and test fuels for several decades.  A
seminal paper was Marskell, WG; Miller, JM. 1946.  Mode of combustion of
coal on a chain grate stoker.  Fuel in Science and Practice,  25: 4–11,
50–62, 78–85, 109–13, 159–62.

Cheers,
Julien.

--