[Stoves] Standards for stoves - discussion Re: The Clean Stove Initiative (CSI) Forum

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 26 23:59:34 CST 2014

Crispin and Ron and all,

I am delighted with the progress that is being made with the Indonesian
stove testing.   Thanks for sharing some example information.   Here are
several observations, not in any special order, and not trying to prove
any point of view.   Just restating what I see in the comments and
data.   (The data screen shots might not be visible in the earlier
message repeated below.  If needed, see Crispin's message dated 26 Nov
2014 to the Stoves Listserv, Subject:  [Re:] Standards for stoves......)

1.  A stove only needs to get one star (Indonesia system) to be eligible
to be included in the up-coming national program (first with 2 pilot
locations).  The financial assistance will be less for these 1 star
stoves (compared to 2 and 3 star stoves), but the important advertizing
and awareness aspects of the project will make these stoves known and shown.

2.  The people, the customers, those who ultimately count, will know
that a stove makes charcoal.   Either the information will tell them, or
the functional stove will show them.   And those people will be able to
determine (with a bit of advertizing help) that although the stove cost
X and fuels cost Y, there is a value of Z for the resultant charcoal,
whether for burning or for biochar.    And they will judge if the net
gain is favorable or not.

3.  So, getting at least one star is crucial, and Crispin has said that
some TLUDs can accomplish that.

4.  And Crispin gives us a peek at the data.   I do not know the stove
except that it is a TLUD.   It does the required cooking task using 1174
grams of fuel which is Albasia Pellets at 7.2% moisture content MC,
which is 84.5 g of moisture, resulting in 1090 dry weight.

5.  And it yields 370 gram of char, which include some inert materials
that would be called ash if the char was burned away. Internet says that
such pellets have about 2% ash.   370 divided by 1090 is 34% charcoal
yield (dry weight basis).   That is somewhat high, indicating either
some volatiles are still in the char or some of the pellets were not
completely pyrolyzed, or some of both causes.   Either way, that is
fine.   In their stove the people have produced charcoal which may or
may not have any value in their cultural context.   And if the household
does one additional but smaller cooking task with that stove, then at
least 500 grams (at least half a kilogram, more than one pound) of char
can be produced per day per household.  Times 365 days becomes nearly
200 kg of char per household per year.    5 households produce a ton of
char.   5000 households produce one thousand tons of char.   And
Indonesia could have 5 million such households, making 5 million tons of
charcoal each year.

6.  Note that the energy in the fuel consumed (that is, in the 1174 g of
consumed Albasia pellets) is listed as 12.39 MJ/kg. That number is
considerably less than the 16 MJ/kg (or even 18 MJ/kg) common in much
biomass.  I do not know why.   Just pointing out something of interest.

7.  The tested stove was (is) made in Indonesia.   Each applicant for
testing was allowed to specify what fuel was to be used in the
testing.   Albasia wood is grown in Indonesia and its sawdust is
evidently used to make Albasia pellets.   It is unlikely that any
applicant stove from outside of Indonesia would have picked Albasia
pellets as the fuel to be used in testing.   But maybe those A. pellets
were used if locally produced pellets were requested.   Whatever the
case, it will be interesting to see how the other TLUD stoves performed,
what fuel they used, etc.

8.  I have no problems with how the Indonesia testing is being
conducted.   It is my impression (maybe from something in the earlier
documentation on the testing?) that after the initial round of testing
is completed and the pilots studies are underway, that additional stoves
(or same stoves but different fuels) will be evaluated for inclusion in
the national program.   That makes sense, and is similar to what the
GACC is allowing as it moves into its own second phase of activities.
The world is not limited to only the stoves that are available today.

So, to Ron I say that the decision to treat resultant charcoal as "no
longer being the original fuel" is okay.   It is one interpretation.
Just as the WBT procedure that give credit to the energy in the charcoal
is also one interpretation.   It will be nice when BOTH interpretations
are clearly stated in the rest results of any tested stove.   But right
now we have two points of view that can each stir up some opposition,
and neither one makes efforts to explain the other interpretation.

The Indonesia efforts have thus far been relatively less known than
other projects.   But with some results coming out, we will have more to
discuss, and it is looking to be favorable and representing progress
about stoves.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to everyone!!   And remember to give thanks every
day wherever you are!!!!!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com