[Stoves] Is LPG all that bad?

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:34:29 CST 2014

Crispin,

You are echoing what I have said for years. All fuels are dirty -it is the
combustion that makes them clean. With good combustion kerosene becomes an
excellent fuel. For those with other agenda it will always be a dirty fuel!

Just to refresh the memories I will suggest stovers to look at two
articles. www.nariphaltan.org/kerosene.pdf

http://www.thebetterindia.com/16136/lamp-stove-solving-rural-india-biggest-problems-lanstove-grassroot-innovation/

Cheers.

Anil

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear AD
>
> LPG is a wonderful fuel for those who can get it and pay for it. Because
> of cost, kerosene was heavily subsidised in Indonesia. It became so
> expensive when the price of oil was run up that the subsidy  was literally
> bankrupting‎ the country. They tried to raise the price and there were
> riots.
>
> So they embarked on the only other viable plan: to switch their subsidy to
> LPG but at a lower level.
>
> This was accomplished in a total of 4 ye‎ars, I believe. Some 40 million
> stoves were given away. Recently Cecil Cook and the WB social science team
> led by Helen Carlsson discovered that 70% of the poor people 'cooking with
> wood' also used LPG at least part of the time.
>
> Cecil found it is used for very particular tasks which fit the description
> you gave below - largely for quick cooking and reheating of food, making
> tea and when the pots should remain clean.
>
> Problems emerged last year when the budget allocation ‎for LPG and
> gasoline (which sells for $0.66 a litre) ran out long before year end. Same
> problem as before : rising energy prices.
>
> Now that there is a determined effort to drive the international price of
> oil down, perhaps they get a reprieve for a while, but the fact remains, to
> give access to LPG it has to be subsidised. Otherwise they will use more
> wood.
>
> It is not a matter of one of the other, people use both, but the switch to
> wood is immediate if the price rises.
>
> Globally there is a shortage of LPG. Thus pressure on the price will
> remain. Part of the price is a relatively expensive delivery ‎cost as every
> aspect of it is regulated and has to be very safe. I say that with kerosene
> in mind which is far cheaper to distribute. It can also be loaned or sold
> to a neighbour on a small scale.
>
> Both can be burned extremely cleanly so it is a disappointment to see the
> WHO refer to kerosene as a 'dirty fuel' in need of being removed from all
> homes. A stove that cannot burn it properly is the guilty party, not 'a
> fuel'.
>
> Regards
> Crispin
>

> Dear List,
> I saw recently a lot of criticism against LPG. As cooking fuel, it is
> really superb, giving a blue flame without smoke or soot,
> instantaneous ignition, finger-tip control of flame intensity, no ash,
> etc. Being liquifiable, relatively large quantities of it can be
> filled into cylinders which occupy very little space in the kitchen.
> One can carry the cylinder around if the gas is needed elsewhere. I
> understand that LPG is a by product of petroleum refining and that one
> cannot avoid the production of LPG as long as we are using petroleum
> and refining it. So, if we stopped using it as cooking fuel, we shall
> have to find an alternative use for it.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
> [...]

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-222396/220945/222842