[Stoves] Fwd: Dumaguete City, Philippines -- gasifier stoves, biochar, ecological sa nitation

Rebecca A. Vermeer ravermeer at telus.net
Mon Oct 6 04:26:34 CDT 2014

Hi Huck, Andrew, List,
Wood charcoal mixed with sawdust in 1:20 ratio by volume is effective in deodorizing PIGPENS provided the poos are continually covered by the char/sawdust mixture.  I think it can also work in outdoor latrines but I have difficulty visualizing how it could work with indoor water-flushed toilets or urinals.

In  Calo, Sibulan (adjacent town to Dumaguete), a farm  uses a 1-meter thickness of this mixture in a pen of 6 pigs for a whole year and 2 harvests (pigs are harvested or sold at 6 months old).  At the end of 1 year, the pen is cleaned out of the char/sawdust/manure/urine mixture which are then transferred to composting chambers with worms (vermiculture).  The compost that is formed in 1-2 weeks is used to fertilize the vegetable garden.  Biogas is produced from the daily washings of cement floored pigpens for the mother pigs and newly born piglets.  There is no briquetting of the char/sawdust/manure mixture.

My main concern with handling human or domestic animal waste are the pathogens and the high risk of infection faced by the poor labourers -- they often end up with TB and other diseases.  Raising pigs and briquetting of human and domestic animal wastes could well be good income generating projects for the poor but could be at great cost to their health.

As for gasifier stoves as source of clean burning char (e.g. fuel for charcoal fired ovens), I would like to see the economics  of that char production process compared to the traditional charcoal making techniques practised in the Philippines and other char producing technologies.

Rebecca Vermeer
The Eco-Kalan Project in the Philippines