[Stoves] modification to Champion TLUD

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Oct 9 09:51:26 CDT 2014

Dear Paul and All

I am seconding the comments:

>For this topic, I hope that the work of Kirk Harris and Jock Jill and
Julian Winter and others will be considered for incorporation into you
designs.

and

>4.  Of course, so many things change when even a little forced air (FA) is
applied.   And that is why I have favored SINGLE entry points for the
primary air and the secondary air.   Force air will be increasingly more
available, and its impacts are highly advantageous in TLUD stoves.

There is still much to know about how these stoves can be optimised first
for combustion, then heat transfer, then controllability.

I can happily report that stoves which are TLULD's have been submitted to
the CSI-Indonesia stove pilot that are able to be controlled without a fan,
across the range of power needed by the users in Central Java. That has been
shown with the CSI-WHT which is a test method that replicates average user
behaviour. That means we have already commercially available TLUD's which
have sufficient cooking power, sufficient power control and low enough
emissions to meet user and programme needs. This is no small achievement.

I caution the tinkering community which has brought us to this stage,
directly or indirectly, not to assume that anything new to you is new to
everyone. That is not a criticism. That is a caution to be a bit circumspect
about claims to novelty. There are companies working on these problems and
they are not sharing much. Paul points out that some have received grants to
work on this. That doesn't mean the results are public or even published.

Remember that 3 years ago I reported there were TLUD stoves in Mongolia
burning cleaner than the ambient air in terms of PM2.5. This is no small
feat. I share what I can but I can't cover everything that is going on.
There are 6 qualifying stove this year in Ulaanbaatar. They are all much
clean than a Philips fan stove, and that is the minimum to get into the
programme - about a 95% reduction against the baseline stove burning the
mandatory test fuel. All this is taking place without reference to the
informal sector stove community (us, for the most part). There is a lot
going on. The producers are all in Turkey, China and Mongolia.

So going forward, if you want to build controllable and clean burning
stoves, please check what is already being made available and try to extend
or replicate those achievements.  It is not necessary to have a fan to
reduce emissions by 90 or 95%. It is necessary to understand well how things
can burn and how to make fuels burn that well.