[Stoves] modification to Champion TLUD

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 9 09:04:56 CDT 2014

Dear Huck and all,

I am delighted to see your progress and determination.

I hope that others will comment also.  There is certainly room for
alternative thoughts to what I am replying.  This all refers to TLUD-ND,
that is, the Natural Draft units.   And we are not focusing on the issue
of costs of materials and labor to accomplish Huck's design considerations.

1.  The Troika design is essentially a Champion TLUD (as represented by
the units from Servals in Chennai) but with legs that serve as
handles.   The air flows are basically the same in both designs.

2.  With fuel chamber diameters under 8 inches (20 cm), a single entry
point for the primary air has seemed quite adequate for the primary air
to spread around the entire grate area.    And a single position is MUCH
easier to control than if there are multiple points of entry.

3.  Secondary air is both easy and tricky.   Easy because it seems to be
somewhat "self-regulating" with the only control factor being the gap
(or a set of holes) at the top of the fuel chamber. We need good mixing
of SA with the combustible gases, with efforts to have very clean
combustion.

However, SA is tricky because (as Crispin has recently measured at
Servals) an EXCESS of secondary air can reduce efficiency by diluting
the flame and therefore lowering the temperature of the gases that reach
the pot.   But too much reduction is an invitation to have poor combustion.

Therefore, I would recommend efforts to control the secondary air in
relation to the gap or holes under the concentrator disk, and not spend
money on limiting the entry of the air into the bottom of the annulus
between the two cylinders.

For this topic, I hope that the work of Kirk Harris and Jock Jill and
Julian Winter and others will be considered for incorporation into you
designs.

4.  Of course, so many things change when even a little forced air (FA)
is applied.   And that is why I have favored SINGLE entry points for the
primary air and the secondary air.   Force air will be increasingly more
available, and its impacts are highly advantageous in TLUD stoves.

##### The importance of sharing this discussion and the resultant
experiments and final outcomes is SOOOOO important.   The past decade of
constant advancement and increasing recognition of TLUD
microgasification has been based on sharing.   In general, the smaller
the entity, the more open is the sharing.   Because some substantially
bigger participants with grants have been active, we can hope for their
contributions also, eventually.   But for now, we rely on the individual
efforts of increasing numbers of TLUD practitioners.

And I thank you all!!!!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com