[Stoves] Building a mixed-materials TLUD

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Oct 9 11:15:34 CDT 2014

Dear Bodie

If you place a metal container inside a mud shell, it will be insulated by the mud. This will cause the metal to burn out very quickly. This is not to say you can’t do it, but it is a challenge that must be faced each time you consider insulating metal.

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Bodie and I'm presently in India spearheading the improved cookstoves component of a broad-scale village resiliency program. In large part, my work here was inspired by the potential of the TLUD and similar designs to simultaneously increase efficiency, decrease emissions, and produce biochar.

Initially, I came in with the vision of proliferating pyrolytic stoves like the TLUD but, through my research here, I've come to recognize that the currently available TLUD models won't be socially appropriate for the villages I am working with. Additionally, none of the current models are in alignment with the organization's mission of developing technology that can be fabricated locally.

That said, I am interested in developing a mixed-materials TLUD that has a clay/mud outer shell and a simple, modified-can internal combustion chamber. An all mud/clay model would be acceptable too.

Do you think it's possible? What are the major technological hurdles you see in developing such a model?

Thank you for your time, your input is invaluable.

Bodie Cabiyo