[Stoves] tier 4 stoves

Huck Rorick huckrorick at groundwork.org
Wed Oct 15 18:11:57 CDT 2014

Hi All,

I am puzzled by some of what I read about performance of stoves.  For
example, I saw this summary report from "Stove Performance Inventory", Oct
2012, Berkeley Air Monitoring Group.  Which shows no biomass stoves meeting
Tier 4 goals and well performing gasifiers in Tier 3 for emissions.

>From Stove Performance Inventory, Oct 2012, Berkeley Air Monitoring Group.

Then I read that the InStove institutional rocket stove achieves Tier 4 in
all categories except for Tier 3 in High Power PM.  See chart:

I realize this is an institutional stove and we can't expect the same
performance from a small family size stove, but it still seems surprising.

Have any smaller rocket stoves come close to this?

Natural draft gasifiers?

What is the best gasifiers have been able to achieve?

As an aside it seems that few stoves are tested with the same measures or
criteria making it hard to know which are actually doing better.

Huck

Huck Rorick

Executive Director
Groundwork Institute