[Stoves] tier 4 stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Oct 15 18:58:46 CDT 2014

Dear Huck

Glad you noticed that comparison.

There are several problems:

The methods used to rate the stoves are not the same, even the WBT ones do not used the same calculations.

The high power metrics are not reported per liter of water placed on the stoves‎ but per litre left after boiling which introduces a high variability even if the protocol is the same.

The three low power metrics are simply not valid measures of performance.

The cleanest stoves are the Mongolian coal stoves which are not reported at all even though the results are available. ‎They are deep into Tier 4. Read the intro to the document for comments.

Progress in better burning stoves in the past year is 'major'. The new versions of the WBT report significantly lower performance than earlier versions for the same stove which means the earlier ones are over-rated.

The list is perhaps best used as a 'general idea' indicator. ‎There are stoves that are not gasifiers that perform very well so don't rule them out, OK?

BBM 2B567CC3