[Stoves] Why doesn't charcoal burn in the Champion TLUD?

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Fri Oct 17 11:19:35 CDT 2014

Huck, in the GIZ-HERA manual microgasification: https://energypedia.info/wiki/File:Micro_Gasification_2.0_Cooking_with_gas_from_dry_biomass.pdf  you find most of your answers.
See  pages 12 onwards, where we tried to describe in an easy-enough way step-by-step the processes happening when burning biomass and how the principles are put to work in different stoves/burners. You may find the visualisation helpful, where heat-driven pyrolysis and oxygen-driven char-burning and gas-combustion are separated.  AS Paul Anderson already pointed out, 'TLUD' is not a device but rather an operation mode.
The figure on page 24 of the manual explains how to switch from TLUD (top-lit up-draft) mode to Bottom-burning  UD mode, if you can deliberately control primary air so you can add sufficient air at the end to burn the char (from whichever side the air gets in bottom and/or side burning).

any stove/burner that provides the option to increase primary air at the end of the char-making pyrolysis process should be able to burn the char. The air control and the configuration of the air-holes matter most: with forced air or substantially increased air flow on the hot char, the char will burn to ash. The configuration of the air-holes will determine, how the char is burnt: wherever an air-hole leads oxygen on the char, you find an increase in the glowing intensity which indicates that the 'char is burnt'.
the TChar concept (8b in the figure) is also explained in more detail on pages 28-30 and again page 60.
Two weeks ago we made an interesting prototype in Madagascar with a simple accessory to an existing charcoal stove. Much easier and cheaper than developing a gasifier from scratch. and a lot safer to use, as you don't need to transfer hot charcoal, you simply lift the accessory up and replace the pot.
can give you more details if you are interested.
Hope that helps.
regards
Christa