[Stoves] Why doesn't charcoal burn in the Champion TLUD?

Huck Rorick huckrorick at groundwork.org
Fri Oct 17 16:08:15 CDT 2014

Hi Christa,

Thank you.  I read the GIZ-HERA Manual.  It is one of the best documents I
have encountered on the subject.  Your additional comments are helpful.

I would definitely like to know more details of the prototype you did in
Madagascar.  People in Besongabang (where we are working) generally don't
use charcoal so adapting to existing charcoal stoves would be completely new
for them (i.e. They don't have charcoal stoves now).  The feeling amongst
our team as we have been discussing this (but haven't built any prototypes
yet, will do in the next few weeks) is that people would rather burn the
charcoal than save it for later use as either fuel or soil amendment.

What puzzled me about the TLUD is that there is heat to create the gases
which are then burnt with the secondary air.  Why isn't this heat enough to
burn the carbon (charcoal)?  I can see that you can slow burning by
controlling the primary air but I'm still puzzled by why, if there is enough
primary air to support a fire to produces gases why isn't it enough to burn
carbon?

I could imagine wood in an airtight container that was heated so that gases
were emitted but there is no air to burn anything.  If the gases were
released and contacted air then the gases could burn.  If that heat could
then be used to continue heating the air tight container you could keep
making gases and charcoal.  And the heat could be used for cooking.  But for
the way I'm describing it I don't see how you would direct the heat back to
the airtight container.

Anyway, I'm just trying to describe what puzzles me in this.   I did
understand your explanation of how more primary air will burn the charcoal.

I will study your comments further.

Thanks,

Huck