[Stoves] health impact

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 3 14:50:55 CDT 2014

Dear Samer

Thanks for popping up.

Look for LPG stoves introduced in Sudan - urban or rural. I think you can
contact Liz Bates, ex-Boiling Point Magazine, for details on it. Date? Maybe
2006.

For social impact perhaps the descendant of the Paraffin Safety Association
PASASA in South Africa.  What's it called?

What to watch for is boo-boos like the general evaluation being on the basis
that fuels have 'inherent emissions' (ignoring the stove as the main
variable) which is an element of error in the analysis in the Lancet
article. In other words, the comparison might be made 'between fuels',
blaming a fuel for the emissions of a stove. Thank goodness the Mongolian
stove programme moved beyond that several years ago. It is now widely known
that the stove+fuel+user combination determines the emissions.

So when you find an evaluation, watch what they 'blame'. Sometimes odd memes
are extended for strange reasons.

I was surprised, quite frankly, that the good doctors writing for Lancet
accepted the idea that a fuel 'has emissions', not the stove. I wonder what
they think smoke is made from.  Anyway, it brings attention to the work
being done to improve performance and reduce exposure.

Regards

Your fan Crispin