[Stoves] health impact?

Marc-Antoine Pare marcpare0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:02:06 CDT 2014

Thanks for the messages everyone. I have to admit that some of the

I didn't spot any criticism of the calculation. Really, I would be more
than happy to hear that there is a mistake. I am trying to paint as clear
of a picture as possible between specific stove interventions and resulting
health impact.

I did notice a few people talking about "the big picture". There are other
benefits, etc. I agree that every calculation is going to miss some of the
picture. It would be interesting if there were some major unconsidered
factor that results in a lot of lives saved.

What I'm trying to do here is attach a number, even if it's just an order
of magnitude (100, 1000, 1000000, etc) to the health impact realized by IAP
reductions from improved cook stoves.

It's clear that it's not so simple from my reading of the research.

I attached the exposure-response curve that Christina pointed me to.

I also attached the curve that I mentioned from CSU. It has the same
y-axis: Adjusted Relative Risk.

You see there is some different in the details but the overall picture
looks the same to me -- adding a stove to the picture doesn't significantly
change the health impact because the PM2.5 levels are still quite high.

Attachment 1 is shows only a 20% improvement. Attachment 2 it shows only a
3% improvement.

Indeed, at the beginning of the linked Kirk Smith presentation, he says:

"Shows now that even major reductions (<90%) in emissions still lead to
small health improvements"

Well, thanks for reading. And, once again, please do not hesitate to
correct any faulty assumptions.

Marc Paré