[Stoves] health impact follow-up (fixed broken image)

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 16:28:03 CDT 2014

Stove list,  cc Marc

	1.  Like Paul Anderson,  I have communicated with Marc Pare  (Pronounce as Paar-ay) for a few years- and want to support Paul’s observation that Marc’s view is worth listening to.  Marc did some very nice work with char-making units to solve a serious emissions problem for brick kilns in Vietnam.  See http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/files/ethos2013/Room%202/Sunday%20PM/Excess%20Air%20Calculations.pdf

	2.   On 23 August, I sent this list a message including the full very recent Science magazine editorial by Prof. Kirk Smith - where Kirk urged cooking with electricity  (earlier Kirk has proposed fossil fuels for the same health reasons).  Until Marc’s work, I had been resisting this option - thinking that char-making stoves could possibly still do the job, and wanting to stay away from everything fossil.  Now less strongly resisting (and note that the liquid fuel world can also be biomass-based and can involve biochar.  As Paul Anderson has pointed out, char-making stoves are not on Kirk’s “stoves death plot” - so I am not certain that we can get down to the lower left corner of that plot.  But we might.

	3.  In conversation with Kirk Harris and Dean Still, I have learned that in very recent (unreported) Aprovecho testing on Kirk’s unit, most of the CO and PM tests were well over an “ISO” rating of 4.0 - one getting as high as 4.8.  Unfortunately, these ISO-PM units don’t match those used in the Kirk Smith “”stove death plot”.  Can anyone make a conversion for us?  There is no reason to think that 4.8 as an ISO number is a maximum on what can be achieved.  With these numbers, we get much closer to the origin - and therefore do much better than the 20% possibility if we only compare to Rockets.

	4.  Turning to Marc’s questions, we should also note that some of the deaths are due to CO - especially in the many households where charcoal use is high.  Again, char-making stoves do well there, but charcoal-using do not.   See this pdf to show how some of this ISO language was being proposed in 2013:
http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/files/ethos2013/Room%202/Sunday%20AM/Standardized%20Stove%20Reporting%20for%20IWA%20Tiers%20of%20Performance%20and%20the%20Stove%20Performance%20Inventory.pdf

	5.  My orientation on char-making stoves started off as forest preservation, then health (Kirk’s focus), then time and cost saving and for the last 7-8 years mainly on climate issues.   So I can understand that Kirk’s dominant health issue may not be resolved with char-making stoves (but I still think it might).  But even with a strong emphasis on 100% cooking with electricity, the low first and high efficiency of induction cookers will still leave a monthly cost beyond the means of many - for many years - because electricity is high cost when you are poor and wood is cheap and nearby.  So we should still keep striving for improvement on char-making stoves - that do a lot more than reduce DALY’s.

	6.  There is a great chance that electric cooking in India (and everywhere) can be 100% renewable (zero fossil) in a few decades (can be carbon neutral).   The costs of solar and wind electricity are possibly already competitive in India and will get better.  And ways will be found to put in enough storage and/or biomass electric to get 100% reliability,  But that would not guarantee the carbon negativity that we need.  But (good news?)  I decided only yesterday that such an event might also be possible with fuel cells and biomass (and carbon negativity)  Fuel cells are already routinely at 50% efficiency and some at 60%.  And some fuel cells are using biomass fuels - and certainly are talking about the RE option.  But I have found no-one talking about solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC), biomass, and carbon negativity (char-making).  I will add a few more words on the biochar list about this possibility later today.  This is unlikely to ever be a major stoves topic  (but might add electricity generation via char making stoves) — but it is certainly a new biochar and (apparently also a new) SOFC topic).  So I am not too concerned about switching away from char-making (carbon negative) stoves - as long as enough of the electricity can have the same carbon negative benefits (soil and climate improvement, etc).  Note that liquid fuels can also have this carbon negative (charcoal) characteristic - so liquids could eventually compete with electricity on both cost and health metrics.

Ron