[Stoves] re numbers for a happy future etc...

Evan Marks yarmarks at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:50:58 CDT 2014

Hi all,

I will first acknowledge that we are certainly digressing from the core topic of this list by feeding more to this thread, but it is an important discussion and does have relevance to the field…

Crispin, apart from Harry S Dent I would very much appreciate references for some of the other figures/statistics that you have mentioned. Specifically, with regards to population projects, without having a reference of my own [i apologize], the fact is that every major industrialised country is doing everything in its power to counteract the natural effects of growing affluence on diminishing fertility. For an analysis of the current dominance of growth-based economics, I would refer to Herman Daly or Brian Czech, who discuss this issue much more eloquently than I will attempt to do here.

The core issue is that growth-based policies do not respect any physical limits to economic or population growth. This is obviously not rational. Also, e.g. the Green Revolution, while a success in increasing food production, did not change the general scheme of distribution (addressed by Richard before). Food for 18 billion living persons does not take into account in any respect other needs that these people may have, including but not limited to houses, cars, electronics, etc. I would recommend looking at the work done by the Global Footprint Network, who I think do a good job of demonstrating that we are currently living beyond our means (appx. 1.5 planets, mostly made possible by non-renewable fossil fuels).

Crispin, in part I do agree that we have every right to be happy… At least those living with the benefits of unequal distribution of wealth (I count myself among these).

-Evan M