[Stoves] re numbers for a happy future etc...

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sun Sep 7 18:55:04 CDT 2014

Er.. Crispin,

Agreed, population reduction and  higher quality of life--as measured by ownership of more things are on the horizon, it does not really serve as a comprehensive predictor  for future happiness for mankind.  It side-steps or altogether misses the more sticky sociological and social economic  insights who owns what and how decisions are distributed ,managed and reconciled. Thats the core stuff of humanity. Its  all about feeling free and safe and socially motivated enough  to get into life --to interact and play it forward.

These values and incentives are neither store bought nor a centrally distributed set of solutions

You  can argue climate change till the cows come in  but amidst lesser certainty of climate and basic resources, and far more importantly, amidst increasing  lack of certainty about  effective, responsibility and transparent  management of them by increasingly distant centers of decision making-whether corporate and/or government–, the future is not to me particularly a happy one.

 Concern and conscience has increasingly been hijacked by privately owned media or  politicized to the ends of politicians equally owned  and the societies potential for compassion subtended by media sound byte  or altogether usurped by individual interests.  :  There is less chance of participation in ones own governance and trust in the common good now than in our own recent history.

Hate crimes, profiling, religious zealotic differences have resulted in unprecedented segmentation of local  communities,  cultures  and nation all over the globe.

If Harry Dent is just crunching numbers to project  opportunities for economic investments, thats one thing: To extrapolate from those metrics to a brighter future for all, is a bit of a stretch…

In a word it's a good deal more complicated than  economics. How we secure a future which embodies local ownership, and as well, regional and global responsibility for our actions is not going to rest with any present-day model of governance. There is a lot of well networked thought and action around the notion of act locally exchange globally and grow through networks rather than pyramids of power…but thats another subject even further form the focus of this group than our present divergence..

Sure, reduced population much eases the stress on resources but it is the distribution of these resources–and further, the participation and equitable and transparent and inclusive ownership of that  process  which determines more, the happiness quotient of the future than mere economic  metrics, no matter how extensive they may be.

Permittame,

Richard Stanley