[Stoves] Stoves Safety and Burns

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Tue Sep 9 12:44:41 CDT 2014

It looks to me that many of the conversations we're currently having about
burns and scalds have been bundled into stoves safety.

This is good, but it misses some helpful and important conversations we
could be having about making stoves safer for women and children (any by
extension, for everyone else too).

There are important categories of burns and scalds that can be eliminated
simply by enclosing a fire and keeping a stove from tipping over. That is
good, but there are also burns and scalds that occur from preparing and
preserving foods.  I was reminded of that while canning this weekend, and
the hot sticky preserves I was canning bubbled out of the pot and left a
large, deep burn on the back of my hand. The ladies who cook with long
sticks are a lot smarter than I am about the dangers of simmering sticky
substances.

Burn danger has been around quite a long time, and it's an area where there
has been some pretty good research. I know that each solution has to be
tailored to the needs of the consumers in the area that we're working with,
but it seems like an area where we can rapidly improve the quality of life
for stove users.   I saw some encouraging things on the GACC web site about
burns, is this an area where maybe the Global Alliance can work with UNICEF
and WHO and helpful data can emerge?  Are there any other organizations
doing work in this area that have the kind of data we can use to improve
both stoves and give cooking and baking tips?

thanks,

Erin Rasmussen

TR Miles Technical Consultants Inc.   http://www.trmiles.com/

and BioEnergy Discussion Lists   http://www.bioenergylists.org/