[Stoves] Stoves Safety and Burns

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:15:43 CDT 2014

On 9 September 2014 18:44, Erin Rasmussen <erin at trmiles.com> wrote:

> There are important categories of burns and scalds that can be eliminated
> simply by enclosing a fire and keeping a stove from tipping over. That is
> good, but there are also burns and scalds that occur from preparing and
> preserving foods.  I was reminded of that while canning this weekend, and
> the hot sticky preserves I was canning bubbled out of the pot and left a
> large, deep burn on the back of my hand. The ladies who cook with long
> sticks are a lot smarter than I am about the dangers of simmering sticky
> substances.

Also consider that as well as being sticky enough to continue scalding
before it can be scraped or washed off the boiling point of a sugary
mix is much higher than just water.

I hope you managed to bathe it is cold running water for 10 minutes.
It's a long time since my last first aid at work course.

AJH