[Stoves] cook stoves for Cameroon

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Sep 15 22:45:59 CDT 2014

Dear Huck

Just one quick point:

"The gasifier, as I understand it, is more efficient and has lower
emissions."

It depends on the test method and the metrics. It is fashionable to use the
GACC-WBT and that test does not report fuel consumption, it reports the fuel
mass equivalent of the energy consumption, treating charcoal left over as
unburned raw fuel (meaning it says the wood was not consumed).

Thus 'gasifiers' are getting rated as if they do not consume fuel that is
actually consumed. When you assess the performance be sure you are clear on
how the method calculates performance and what the metrics are. You may want
to measure ( and weigh) fuel needed per cooking cycle rather than use any
calculated numbers from a complex test protocol.

For evaluation of performance I recommend the CSI-WHT which is a water
heating test (no boiling) and a measure of the raw fuel needed per
replication of the cooing cycle. It is used by the WB in the Clean Stove
Initiative in Indonesia. Documentation (some anyway) is available.

Regards

Crispin in Tamil Naidu