[Stoves] cook stoves for Cameroon

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Tue Sep 16 03:13:02 CDT 2014

I do not find the discussion odd or out of topic.  I am saddened at all the
effort being put into gasifier stoves carefully designed to consume only
part of the fuel.  From the user's perspective, I can see no point in
spending a lot of energy and time in gathering fuel, only to have to throw
much of it away.  You have to appreciate the effort it takes to harvest wood
in the first place.  In some communities, we have found people collecting
wood 22h out of 24. The distance they have to travel follows a very skew
distribution, with a median distance of around 2km and a maximum distance of
over 6km.  Try walking 6km with 20kg of wood balanced on your head, and you
will get some idea of the effort involved. Then the wood still has to be
broken into a usable size, sapping yet more of your energy.

Seen from this perspective, any efficiency metric that does not allow for
the loss of fuel by generating charcoal is plain wrong.  It may make some
stovers happy; it cannot be of assistance to those trying to stay alive at
the fringes of existence, for whom we are all trying to find clean means of
cooking.

Prof Philip Lloyd

Energy Institute

Cape Peninsula University of Technology