[Stoves] cook stoves for Cameroon

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Sep 19 22:38:44 CDT 2014

Crispin cc stoves:

	I find nothing believable in any part of this message.  Can you supply a cite or two?

	That is - which char-making stove was being used for food storage?  Where?

	That is - what document have your read that said slash and burn produces “masses of char”?  I read something very different on Dr.  Christoff Steiner’s biochar.com site, where he strongly promotes slash and char instead.  I recall 20-25% vs 1-2%.

	That is - where did you ever read that replacing slash and burn in favor of slash and char “will produce starvation”?  Or you’ve seen it personally where?

	That is - where did you read that slash and burn produced the Terra Preta soils?

	That is - how do you explain slash and burn is practiced all over the world - and almost none have soils similar to the Terra Preta soils.  Where do you know that good anthropocentric soil exists that was from slash and burn - and not slash and char?  Japan?

	That is -  can you (or Cecil) supply the published work you claim he observed?  Where in the Amazon?  While at it, remind Cecil he promised something to me on this list about half a year ago on his recent stove survey work.  I am still anxious to know whether the survey asked users whether they would like to make money while cooking?  And whether they would prefer to leave the stove for half an hour or more at a time?

	That is - can you cite anything from the modern published work on reproducing Terra Preta soils in Brazil (not elsewhere) by Cornell’s Dr.  Johannes Lehmann, and his students Drs.  Julie Major and Christoph Steiner?  Or of anyone?  (You can find dozens of Lehmann related papers free at http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/publications/index.html

	That is (verily) - how many biochar papers have your read to support your view that there is no proof on char’s effectiveness in soil?  Anything by Nat Mulcahy of World Stoves?  How about reports put out by Cool Planet - or hundreds of papers at dozens of biochar conferences?

	That is - you have seen two char-making stoves that outperform three stone fires - which were they and by how much?. Have your read on this list within the last month of the Kirk Harris TLUD stove - that had apparently the best stove performance that Aprovecho ever tested?  (plenty of turn down ratio, high efficiency, low emissions, etc.).  Probably a stove failure in your mind because it is too small to sit on.

	That is - which are the stoves you have found that have performed better than TLUDs?

	In case anyone missed my point - I found nothing below of value to the discussion trying to help  Huck Rorick and the Cameroon.  I can’t prove it, but I suspect Crispin haven’t tested any TLUDs - since they clearly would all fail the test procedures you have proposed in your CSI work.  If f I were a TLUD producer, I would certainly not submit one for testing knowing the char would not even be weighed.  Perhaps Crispin can prove me wrong on this last point by sharing the results of a few TLUD tests he has made or caused to be made.

	Lastly, if anyone can explain Crispin’s antipathy to charcoal making stoves (while he has supported illegal char production in the bush for job creation reasons), I would be most appreciative of hearing.  Off list is fine.

Ron