[Stoves] Rebecca Vermeer sent you a video: "Launching Eco-Kalan & Bingka Oven for SUMAPI Dumandan, Zamboanguita, Negros Or., PH, Dec 14-15, 2014"

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 18 10:56:14 CDT 2015

Rebecca and all Stovers,

Again, a very nice video.   This one shows more of the Whirly Pinay,
which to me it the "Star" of the video (but the food is truly
mouth-watering!!).   The Whirly Pinay is a TLUD stove made of ceramic.
The best ceramic TLUD that I have seen.

1.  I would like more more info about that stove.   I am not a
mud/ceramics person, so even basic info is important.   Jon and Flip can
better analyze the stove making info.   Things like clay types,
thicknesses, firing temperatures, breakage issues, etc.

2.  I am impressed by the sizes of the pots that are supported on the
Whirly Pinay.   Because of my lack of experience with clay/ceramic, I
worry about the lower pottery breaking and dumping off the full hot pot
on the ground or the cooks.   I therefore like better the arrangement
with the oven that is supported by three walls.

3.   I would like some comments about the moving of the Whirly Pinay
TLUD into position under the supported oven (or supported pot).   It is
heavier than the metal TLUDs, so maybe a sliding "tray" or shelf would
be easier to move?   And does the pottery get hot on the outside?   Does
it cool rapidly?

4.  In some ways it seems like a TChar combustion device, with the
intention to continue to cook with the charcoal (made by TLUD pyrolysis)
in the lower part.

5.  The reality that a TLUD makes heat that is sufficiently clean
DIRECT-heat baking in a "black oven" (emissions in contact with the
food, not separated by a heat-transfer wall in a "white oven") is an
important accomplishment that others (Jon and Flip and others) are also
finding to be beneficial.   This needs to be more completely documented
and told to all stovers.

Rebecca, your success with the COOKING (which is WHY we are all making
stoves) is wonderful !!!!   You and Flip do magic.   (The guys mainly do
heat.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com