[Stoves] Diesel as an excellent fuel for rural households

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:37:09 CDT 2015

Thanks Crispin. We are proposing diesel because of unavailability of
kerosene and its skewed subsidy regime.

Regards.

Anil

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Anil
>

> Sticking with the topic, paraffin (kerosene) and diesel have a close
> friendship.  Although kerosene composition varies a lot (it is a junk fuel)
> I can give some numbers from South Africa to use as indicators:
>

> C9H20 to C20H42 is the typical range of paraffin in South Africa with an
> uneven mixture – tending towards the right side to keep the evaporation
> rate low (because some stoves heat the fuel).
>

> Diesel is about C16H34 to C22H46 so there is a large overlap. Anything
> that will burn kerosene really well can probably burn diesel well too.
>

> Diesel engines can run a 50-50 mix of diesel-paraffin without modification.
>

> Regards
>
> Crispin

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-222396/220945/222842