[Stoves] Corn cob burner for making salt

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 02:28:15 CDT 2015

[Default] On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 05:54:51 +0700,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>Dear Andrew
>You are on the right track but this is done in a really different manner from general intuition.
>There are two ways to make salt. Dig the mud from the inter-tidal zone and filter the salt out using sea water, and purifying evaporation pan salt, the dirty part.
>The first approach is done in Sumba Island ?and the water from the strainer is 24% salt. The method in Lombok is to process dirty salt by dissolving it in water which does into the stove at about 20% concentration. It precipitates as the concentration reaches 332 g/litre.

Crispin this doesn't make sense to me, salt saturates at about 4.5%
(which Frans Peeters has confirmed in a private message  along with
exhortations to avoid  losalt containing potassium chloride or free
flowing sulfocyanates in refined salt) I don't think it varies much
with temperature. We used to grow large cubical crystals from cooling
supersaturated salt by dropping in a seed crystal, I don't think this
works with refined salt with the additives.

However this makes little difference to the concept of using a biomass
burner to evaporate off water, just that more water needs removing
than you think.

AJH