[Stoves] Corn cob burner for making salt

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:31:27 CDT 2015

[Default] On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 21:53:15 +0800,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>Dear Andrew
>

>I again looked up the concentration according to temperature because the
>saturation level is dependent on the temperature of the water. At 20 °C one
>litre of water can dissolve about 357 grams of salt. I have another
>reference that says 332g but they did not give the temperature.  At
>357g/litre (not per kg) it is 35.7% according to the salinometer.  The thing
>is that at the boiling point the holding capacity rises so as the salt
>forms, it is higher - about 391 grams (39.1%) per litre.

Yes I see now, sea water is around 35 gram per litre and boiling water
saturates at over 400 grams but I couldn't see where the extra  salt
was coming from so assumed they were evaporating from sea water rather
than a more concentrated brine.

So if they were starting with a concentration of 20% salt then they
would only have to evaporate 320 litres of water instead of the 2000
litres I first worked out ( I also misread a decimal point one place
in the saturation point of brine).

AJH