[Stoves] ------ making salt just an aside

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Aug 30 01:40:57 CDT 2015

Dear Rebecca

You are correct about the land. Land is so expensive no one can afford it -
only inherit it. A few salt makers rent land to evaporate but the poor who
do the refining are not in a position to have access to land. The industry
in Bali is collapsing because land is not up to $500 per square metre.

They are earning gross about 20 cents a kg for the purified salt. Most of
that goes for fuel of course. It looks like switching to oil palm kernels
(imported) will be a viable option. The rice hull burners are not very good
at burning the carbon out of the fuel so they have to buy a lot more than
they should. I got a sample for testing to see what the loss is. What we
need is for people to like 'hand-made salt' more!

I have news for you about the Keren Super stove, but in another message.

Regards
Crispin somewhere in the air

Andrew, Trevor,
Tradition!  Tradition!  Bear in mind that the early salt makers of Ilocos
Norte, Philippines were poor people with limited access to land and sea.
The craft of salt making has been handed down through generations  and I am
glad to see that tradition survive to the present  despite  competing
industrial scale production of the rich who can afford large tracks of
waterfront land.  Anything we can do to preserve the livelihood of many
people and our cultural heritage would be much appreciated.

Rebecca