[Stoves] Box 6

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Dec 2 12:46:33 CST 2015

Dear Frank

I would prefer to use a real pot that is representative of one being used in
the target community.

I was just looking at the burn rate and the burn time. In other words I was
only testing the combustor.

Regards from Dushanbe

Crispin

Dear Stovers,

Crispin writes:

There was no pot involved. I used a pseudo pot to prevent outside air diving
into the combustion zone. The cooking power is calculated, not measured.

I believe this has nothing to do with this stove. It is just an idea
presented of how we might go about testing stoves and the terminology being
used. Suggesting the same method can be used on other types of stoves. The
pseudo pot is  likely a flat metal plate in place of a pot. So the values
mean little until the energy of the metal plate is calibrated for the task
it is to represent. Box 6.

Box 6 idea.

The plate is heated until water drops spatter on the surface. Then a cube of
iron 10cm X 10cm X 10cm is placed on the plate for the time duration found
to cook a pot of rice. Then the block is removed and placed into a bucket of
water and the temperature rise determine. This same cube is used for the
time it takes for flat bread etc.

Once it is standardized for the different tasks we can determine if there
was too much heat, too little or within the range required.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields