[Stoves] Baking method ... was Re: Dushanbe Stove

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 5 21:49:50 CST 2015

Crispin and all,
On 12/4/2015 7:26 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Today we will test a few stoves that have been tried in the field.
> Bread baking is very popular with each home having a tandoor. It
> consists of a purchased oven built into a classic form by the home
> owner using clay and hand tools. It is heated with small wood. When it
> is reduced to coals the coals are covered with a metal tray and the
> dough is slapped onto the surfaces (it is cylindrical, either
> horizontal or vertical) and left for a few minutes.
>
> The dough sticks there and bakes, basically using retained heat.  It
> is pulled off after a few minutes.
Crispin,

Please send photo(s) of the tandoori to which you refer above.   I am
imagining it as rather short (squat), and with the described metal tray
being horizontal.   But tandoori cooking that I have seen has been
essentially tall-ish and vertical, with the flatbread plastered on the
sidewalls of the tandoori.

Your message has started me thinking about such backing that is not
typical "space oven" of the western world (with heat all around in a
chamber), but is a "surface-contact oven" that has a hot interior around
it .    Note that pizza cooking can be mainly surface contact with a hot
interior around it, but tortilla cooking is with a hot surface but no
hot enclosure above the tortillas.   Big difference, but still quite
related.

Anyone who wants to do "hands on" work about this and is interested in
such baking can contact me directly.   Some of these cooking experiments
can be easily done without (or with) a biomass burning stove, that is,
could be done inside a typical modern kitchen or in an improvised (TLUD
based) kitchen like where i ate one night in South Africa in October.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com