[Stoves] Baking method ... was Re: Dushanbe Stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Dec 6 06:19:18 CST 2015

Dear Paul

I found a photo of a vertical tandoor.

Notice the air hole on the bottom.

Crispin and all,

On 12/4/2015 7:26 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

Today we will test a few stoves that have been tried in the field. Bread
baking is very popular with each home having a tandoor. It consists of a
purchased oven built into a classic form by the home owner using clay and
hand tools. It is heated with small wood. When it is reduced to coals the
coals are covered with a metal tray and the dough is slapped onto the
surfaces (it is cylindrical, either horizontal or vertical) and left for a
few minutes.

The dough sticks there and bakes, basically using retained heat.  It is
pulled off after a few minutes.

Crispin,

Please send photo(s) of the tandoori to which you refer above.   I am
imagining it as rather short (squat), and with the described metal tray
being horizontal.   But tandoori cooking that I have seen has been
essentially tall-ish and vertical, with the flatbread plastered on the
sidewalls of the tandoori.

Your message has started me thinking about such backing that is not typical
"space oven" of the western world (with heat all around in a chamber), but
is a "surface-contact oven" that has a hot interior around it .    Note that
pizza cooking can be mainly surface contact with a hot interior around it,
but tortilla cooking is with a hot surface but no hot enclosure above the
tortillas.   Big difference, but still quite related.

Anyone who wants to do "hands on" work about this and is interested in such
baking can contact me directly.   Some of these cooking experiments can be
easily done without (or with) a biomass burning stove, that is, could be
done inside a typical modern kitchen or in an improvised (TLUD based)
kitchen like where i ate one night in South Africa in October.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu <mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com <http://www.drtlud.com>