[Stoves] TLUD Oven paper updated

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Feb 2 13:41:53 CST 2015

Dear Marc

Looking at your wood fuel temperature profile:

It seems that you could turn down the primary air a bit to get a lower
temperature for a bit longer (or with less fuel. The bump marked
'transition' is really dictated by the way the air flow changed.

Did you make that transition manually?

If it was manual you could I suppose mage made is a little sooner to avoid
the 100 deg drop in temperature. There is a simple way to have it transition
automatically which is to place some holes that will give additional primary
air to gasify the char. These should be near the bottom but no right at the
bottom. Cover the holes with a strip of paper. As the pyrolysis zone passes
the hole, it will burn the paper and open the holes.

By experimenting with the holes' number, size and vertical position (they
don't all have to be at the same height) you can get the automatic
transition you want at an extremely low cost.

Regarding the emissions, it is very likely that most of the 'things you
don't want' are produced during ignition. You could vent that smoke away
from the oven then kick something over to the oven when it is burning well.
That assumes you have a really clean burn which is certainly possible.

Nice report. Thanks

Crispin

Marc's paper is a little too [large to] send through the list, you can
download a copy here:

http://bit.ly/16mhgap

(Erin )

Hi stovers & oveners!

I'd like to share with all of you the new update of the TLUD-Oven paper. It
was somehow presented by Jon and Flip Anderson in the ETHOS and summarizes
the work done since know by me in the TLUD-Ovens.

After preparing this paper, I have become more and more aware and worried
about the concentration of toxic combustion products that can be produced
and "stored" in a black oven like these and attach to food. Hopefully, these
days some emissions measurements are being done in the Aprovecho lab, so
more data is expected to come soon. I'll wait until knowing them before
starting a discussion topic about it.

Marc

www.cuinessolars.jimdo.com <http://www.cuinessolars.jimdo.com>