[Stoves] TLUD Oven paper updated

Marquitusus marquitusus at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 01:47:34 CST 2015

Hi Julien and all,
You have mentioned the problem with temperature control, and the solution: turning down the primary air.
Yes. It is possible in theory, but in the practice it is not easy to built a TLUD stove with primary air control. Almost for me! It is what I'm trying to do now: testing any sliding little doors or other methods. It is my poor tinsmith skills I guess!
Would you say that the solution to this is to build a TLUD-oven unit that is designed to use only pellets as fuel, and use a TLUD of sufficient depth to pyrolyze for two hours? Yes, this is what I think would be the best. Changing the reactor in the middle of a baking process can be challenging for a baker when you have a lot of loaves of bread you have to manage! Pellets or any other well working fuel.
I find that 30 cm of softwood pellets lasts about that long, and there is a slight reduction in power output over time. I also think 30cm of pellets would last this long, but since now I have found challenging building a TLUD stove with a reactor of more than 20cm in length, because lack of primary air draft. This normally leads to little power and the extinguish of the flame due to too much distance between the combustion zone and the pyrolisis front. As Crispin has suggested a lot of times, some early secondary air  near the fuel bed should do the trick. I wonder when I will have time to try this...
About measuring temperature in an oven with a thermocouple, I answer in the next mail

Thanks!
Marc