[Stoves] TLUD Oven paper updated

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 28 09:52:14 CST 2015

Marc,       A reply to an older message.    see below

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 2/3/2015 1:47 AM, Marquitusus wrote:
> Hi Julien and all,
>
> /You have mentioned the problem with temperature control, and the
> solution: turning down the primary air./
> Yes. It is possible in theory, but in the practice it is not easy to
> built a TLUD stove with primary air control. Almost for me! It is what
> I'm trying to do now: testing any sliding little doors or other
> methods. It is my poor tinsmith skills I guess!
For primary air control, try a tube or thin pipe into the area under the
grate.   Near the outer end of the pipe, cut down half-way a slit (use a
hack saw).   Into the slit you can slide a thin piece of metal that is a
barrier that closes inside the pipe and has an upper piece that you can
hold.   Make several of the barriers, and into them put different
numbers of small holes (2 mm maybe) so that there are different amounts
of air that can pass the barrier (plus what air leaks past.).

> /Would you say that the solution to this is to build a TLUD-oven unit
> that is designed to use only pellets as fuel, and use a TLUD of
> sufficient depth to pyrolyze for two hours? /Yes, this is what I think
> would be the best. Changing the reactor in the middle of a baking
> process can be challenging for a baker when you have a lot of loaves
> of bread you have to manage! Pellets or any other well working fuel.
If the baker has a second TLUD unit, ignite it and insert it promptly
when the initial unit has finished the pyrolysis.   Repeat as many times
as needed.   This should not impact the bread at all.

Paul