[Stoves] The need to continue the discussion: simmer efficiency

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:33:21 CST 2015

Hi All;

This discussion about stove testing started off about "gaming the test".

I doubt there are many stove developers who would want their test "gamed."
What they would like to know is if their stove is reliable, or if it fail
under certain conditions.  It would be a bit of a nuisance to get a glowing
report on your stove, only to discover later that it had problems.

The question I ask is whether the protocols of the water boiling test 4.2.3
are sufficient?  Do we need to be explicit about scientific methods, or do
we just assume that "everybody knows that".

I have attached a slide from the presentation I gave at ETHOS.  Notice the
range of gasification rates when a variety of fuels are used.  What would
you do to make sure that you are not "counting white swans" when conducting
a water boiling test?

Cheers,
Julien.

--