[Stoves] TLUD gasification rate research .... was Re: The need to continue the discussion: simmer efficiency

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:47:25 CST 2015

Julien and all,

Julien's excellent research was presented at ETHOS and should soon be
available to all via the ETHOS website.   It is already available at
the    drtlud.com   website:
http://www.drtlud.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Winter-Julien-ETHOS-2015.pdf

There are many slides, including the one in discussion.

1.  Refreshing my memory:   the control of the gasification rate was by
changing the grate (8 of them) at the bottom, to allow more (or less)
primary air to enter for a specific fuel (6 fuels on the graph).

And where is the temperature measured?  At the fuel bed when the
Migratory Pyrolytic Front (MPF) was there.   Correct?

2.  I am not understanding well the measurement
that is stated as        g / m*2 s   (grams per square meter x s )
I was expecting something more like the weight of the fuel per
minute.    Is the    m   meters or minutes?
I do understand the concept that greater gasification rate would result
in higher temperature.

3.  There are approximately 115 to 120 data points.   How many of them
are repeated tests using the same combination of air control and fuel type?

Julien's work is a great example of meticulous scientific research.
AND he did it at his home facilities without external funding.

Much appreciated!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com