[Stoves] Biochar School Nov 7-11, California

Bruce Stahlberg bruce at affordableenergysolutions.com
Wed Jan 7 13:24:28 CST 2015

Hi Kelpie,

I was going through some old emails and found your Green Your Head web
site.  On it there are three videos and in the second one there is a tin
can version of the biochar stove (cooking soup and meat) similar to the one
described in your brochure.  My question:  Are there plans for this
version?  It is different than the one described in your book.  I also
looked at other designs that are free to download but did not see it.

The difference, or at least one, is the slots on the side are cut
vertically versus using a can opening (triangular) tool.  The design seems
to be different than the ones we have built based on your plans.  Am I
seeing that right?  Are there plans for this model/type?

Thanks for all your resources.

Bruce "Still Interested in the Next BioChar Class"  Stahlberg

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Kelpie Wilson <kelpiew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stove list,
> Some of you might find this interesting. Dr. TLUD will be there with a new
> stove and we will be making biochar, learning how to use it, and talking
> about how to capture useful energy.
>
> Biochar School - Appropriate Technology for Small Farms
>
> November 7-11, Swallow Valley Farm <http://swallowvalleyfarm.com>, Sonoma
> County, California
>
> *Register Now! <http://biocharschool.bpt.me/>Space Limited to 50 Students*.
> Register before October 15 to get the low early bird rate.
>
> Who should attend? Small farmers, home gardeners and anyone interested in
> soils, plants and small scale biomass energy.
>
> More info at www.greenyourhead.com
>
> *What you will learn from our faculty of 12 experienced biochar
> practitioners:  *
> •    No-cost and low-cost ways to make plenty of biochar for your farm
> •    Biochar application rates and methods for best results
> •    How to make biologically active, nutrient balanced biochar fertilizer
> blends
> •    How to analyze biochar characteristics
> •    How to integrate biochar economically and ecologically into your farm
> production systems
> •    How to design biochar devices that capture useful energy
>
> *Exciting Demonstrations and Lectures:*
> •    Hear Toby Hemenway talk about biochar and permaculture
> •    Experience the amazing Adam Retort with Peter Hirst
> •    See the latest biochar stove designs from Dr. TLUD
> •    Learn about biochar from Gloria Flora, Kelpie Wilson and Josiah Hunt,
> among others
> •    Visit Bloomfield Organics to see how a CSA farm uses biochar
>
> *PROGRAM SCHEDULE (subject to change):*
>
> [image: Biochar school schedule]
> <http://greenyourhead.typepad.com/.a/6a010536aa37eb970c01b7c6e5a589970b-pi>
>
> PROGRAM DETAIL:
>
> *Classroom -- “101” classes offered Friday and Saturday. “201” classes
> offered Sat, Sun, Mon:*
>
>    - Biochar 101 – the basics about biochar and how it works in soil
>    - Pyrolysis 101 – the basics about the chemistry and physics of the
>    biochar-making process and how different devices work
>    - Biochar 201 (part 1) --  Biochar Compost Science & Methods (Josiah
>    Hunt, Hawaii Biochar & Kelpie Wilson, Wilson Biochar Associates)
>    - Biochar 201 (part 2) – Biochar Application Rates & Application
>    Methods (Phil Small, Land Profile & John Miedema, BioLogical Carbon)
>    - Pyrolysis 201 (part 1) -- Design for Heat Transfer (Peter Hirst, New
>    England Biochar & John Miedema, BioLogical Carbon)
>    - Pyrolysis 201 (part 2) – Pyrolysis Economics for Farm Scale (Josiah
>    Hunt, Hawaii Biochar & John Miedema, BioLogical Carbon)
>
> *Labs --  Labs will be offered on Saturday, Sunday and Monday: *
>
>    - Open Fire Kilns – how to make and operate pit kilns, cone kilns, top
>    lit open burns and new devices (Michael Wittman, Blue Sky Biochar & Paul
>    Anderson, Dr. TLUD)
> [...]

Bruce Stahlberg
Affordable Energy Solutions, Inc.
3008 41st Ave South
Minneapolis, MN  55406
612.724.8977
www.affordableenergysolutions.com

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would
solve most of the world's problems.
-Mahatma Ghandi