[Stoves] Seeking feedback on a mixed-materials TLUD

Bodie Cabiyo bodie.cabiyo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:06:23 CST 2015

Hi Fellow Stove Enthusiasts!

For the past few months I've been working on refining a TLUD design
(attached) which is fabricated from a mud mixture and recycled cans. My
intention is to design a efficient, biochar-producing stove that can be
fabricated by the user.

I've gotten the stove to a point where it burns well under certain
conditions, but I'm facing some serious roadblocks that I can't seem to
surmount on my own. I would love your feedback.

Here's the key problems I'm trying to solve:

   1. Weak starting. With my primary fuel (coconut shells), it takes about
   2 - 4 smoky minutes for the stove to really get going and start burning the
   smoke.
   2. Poor mixing. A couple of weeks ago, Crispin described a "textbook
   example" of poor mixing characterized by a column of flame that produces
   smoke when the pot is placed over it. I presume that with better mixing,
   the majority of the smoke would be combusted by the time it gets to the pot
   surface.
   3. Poor turndown ratio. As mentioned in the document, the stove has two
   settings: high heat and very high heat. Even with a tiny amount of primary
   air space, the heat stays very high.

I'm eager to hear your comments! What do you think? Can I perfect this
stove, or have I created a beast that can't be tamed? :)

Thank you in advance!

Bodie

PS. You might notice the absence of a proper WBT. I haven't bothered yet
because I feel that I should address the above issues first. If it would be
helpful for assessing the design, I certainly can give the results of a WBT.

--

*Bodie Cabiyo*

Professional: carbonalternatives.org
Personal: concentricchange.wordpress.com

*Food for Thought:*
*"A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of
tiny drops of water. Even so, life is but an endless series of little
details, actions, speeches, and thoughts. And the consequences whether good
or bad of even the least of them are far-reaching."*
- Sri Swami Sivananda