[Stoves] Where's the win? (question from ETHOS)

Marc-Antoine Pare marcpare0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:19:29 CST 2015

"Where's the win?" was the best audience question I heard at ETHOS this
year.

The audience member was asking a panel to provide example of clear wins
from stove project implementations.

In particular, this panel was about health impacts.

The whole room had trouble answering the question.

Partly, this was because a number of the presenters had shown evidence of
the great difficulty of stove adoption in practice. Nordica Macarty had a
quote from Dr. Nathan Johnson's findings in a Malawai community:

"Analysis indicated that cookstove type may affect fuel consumption but the
effect was not statistically significant."

I'm sure there are good answers to this question out there. Does anyone on
the list have any to share? I was really surprised that people at ETHOS
didn't have a list to spin off at the tip of their tongues.

Marc Paré