[Stoves] Some Basic Properties of ND-TLUD Gasification

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:24:54 CDT 2015

Hello Frank;

Thanks again for the advice.  I am also looking for a reasonably priced
scale.  The other day I saw Crispin's Adam Scales CBK from which he was
able to get a continuous record of weight change transferred to his
computer (ask Crispin for details).

Heating a sample of fuel to 450 °C in a tube is a good idea.  I think I
would like more control than putting the tube into some hot coals, because
I want to bring the heat up slowly in a documented, and repeatable way.
How fast a heating rate I will have to look into, but I suspect that it
will be  5 °C / min or less.  It may be possible to do this if I create a
small furnace, borrowing some ideas from this coffee can forge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRTcmR6sSk

The results I get for char yield will not be totally unambiguous, because I
will have a combination of both primary char (formed when the biomass
decomposed) and secondary char (from recombined, cracked volatiles).

This is a project that I will have to research more before I get started.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter