[Stoves] Some Basic Properties of ND-TLUD Gasification

franke at cruzio.com franke at cruzio.com
Tue Jul 14 13:31:47 CDT 2015

Hi Julien,

> Hello Frank;
>
> Thanks again for the advice.  I am also looking for a reasonably priced
> scale.  The other day I saw Crispin's Adam Scales CBK from which he was
> able to get a continuous record of weight change transferred to his
> computer (ask Crispin for details).
>
> Heating a sample of fuel to 450 °C in a tube is a good idea.  I think I
> would like more control than putting the tube into some hot coals, because
> I want to bring the heat up slowly in a documented, and repeatable way.
> How fast a heating rate I will have to look into, but I suspect that it
> will be  5 °C / min or less.  It may be possible to do this if I create a
> small furnace, borrowing some ideas from this coffee can forge:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRTcmR6sSk
The trick is to let the gases escape from around the outside of the pipe
before they are concentrated enough to ignite creating more heat
uncontrolled. There are some furnaces that sell replacement heating
elements. If you can purchase four of these for the walls and add fire
bricks around the outside might work. The one I am thinking of has two
long wires coming out the back that are set up in two parallel  units so
if one couple fails you still have the other two.  What fails is the
connections that get rusty-like and easily fixed OR if the controller
fails and the temperature increases to 'looking at the sun' temperature.
When that happens you replace the element.

> The results I get for char yield will not be totally unambiguous, because
> will have a combination of both primary char (formed when the biomass
> decomposed) and secondary char (from recombined, cracked volatiles).

Well - your secondary 'char' is not what I call Char. Once cracked best
removed IMO unless someone has a use for biochar and tars mixed. Toxic in
agriculture so a good week killer between rows for example.