[Stoves] [biochar] Interesting video

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 22:40:44 CDT 2015

Hi Jock---enjoyed the video and have always been sentimental about Vt..  On
charring materials, I always look at grass as one bite away from becoming
meat and manure.  USDA, a product of Ag U's that preach chemical farming,
speak of "ag waste", as the % of organic matter in farm fields declines;
however, wood chips, especially from limbs over 4", which are dumped in
ditches near here, would probably best be charred.

I always think of biochar as an inert carbon that provides condos for micro
organisms.  So how would you respond to the following question that is
probably so elementary that I received no response from the biochar list?
Last Fall, after spreading biochar,  I submitted a photo of spreading 4+"
of compost followed by 4" of ramial wood chips on a new garden area that
was hay field, with a 425 bu. manure spreader.  It almost totally
eliminated weeds this Spring and is alive with fungi on top of the chips
and earth worms below.  Somewhere in Giles Lemieau Laval Universite ramial
wood chips, someone mentioned that the positives of ramial chips can last
for 1000 years.  Does the small fraction of carbon in the chips last as
long in the soil and have the same physical characteristics as carbon in
biochar, or is pyrolysis essential to give the carbon the longevity and
absorbent physical characteristics?  Thanks

stoves and Biochar Lists (with apologies for cross posting)