[Stoves] [biochar] Interesting video

Jock Gill jock at jockgill.com
Mon Jul 20 06:52:34 CDT 2015

Dick,

Your question is way above my pay grade. Hugh Mclaughlin is better qualified to answer your question.  My understanding is that organic carbon is subject to microbial action which will convert it to CO2  within decades. I further understand that pyrolytic carbon is highly resistant to microbial action and thus will remain in the soil for centuries.

As for grass as a source of Biochar, four points:

• harvesting grass keeps fields open when they are no longer used for other purposes. Mixed use is generally a good idea.

• grass Biochar has physical properties that are quite different. Are these advantageous  in some applications?

• grass can be harvested every year. Wood not so often, esp if it has to grow to 4 inch diameter.

• harvesting energy provides an alternative source of income for farmers, esp. If they pelletize it and deliver it to local users.

The real challenge is to move beyond combustion to pyrolysis and carbon negative solutions.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards,

Jock

Jock Gill