[Stoves] Summer Stove Camp 2015 Agenda

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jul 28 07:37:15 CDT 2015

Dear Dieter

Is $5 the price of a current traditional stove in Lusaka? I ask because it is quite a bit higher  than it used to be: $1.50.

The wholesale price of a small Keren Stove in Yogyakarta is $0.20. Bigger ones run from 50 cents to a dollar. A $5 has to offer a lot more to attract buyers.

By offering much more fuel-efficient charcoal stoves the impact on the trees is very large, as you indicate. There is lots of room for improvement of the entire chain, all elements of it. A stove that saves $10 a month in fuel that costs $30 makes sense, if people can afford to save that much.

Dear Crispin,

The mean expenditures for charcoal of an urban household in Zambia are
around 25 USD per month (consumption of more than 1.3 tons of charcoal
per household per year). The price of the typical metal charcoal stove
is about 5 USD. The urban households in Zambia will possibly be able to
cause extensive deforestation of the country during one generation with
these charcoal braziers. If the price of charcoal would reflect also the
damage on nature and health, the price would be still higher. I write
this because I cannot agree with your “too expensive”. A three stone
fire can be extremely expensive, if holistically calculated. I designed
the fuelwood stoves Ben 2 and Ben 3 (http://solarcooking.org/Ben3)for
free use keeping this in mind.

With kind regards,
Dieter