[Stoves] Summer Stove Camp 2015 Agenda

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 03:06:27 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin,

The actual price of the traditional charcoal stove (brazier) in Lusaka
may be less than 5 USD. I have put the figure to show that the costs for
the households derive from the charcoal is 5 times (or more with your
data) per month of the investment for the brazier.

I do not advocate stoves which use traditional charcoal, even if they
are much more fuel efficient. A small calculation shows, that the factor
mass of wood/mass of produced charcoal, which is between 5 and 10,
cannot be compensated by the NCV and the efficiency.  The main evil is
that trees are cut; the consequences are demonstrated e.g. in Haiti and
Madagascar (where urban households get their charcoal from remaining
trees logged in a distance of 800 km and transported in the form of
charcoal).

The Ben stoves can be produced with costs less than 10 USD, and I hope
we can convince urban households in countries affected by deforestation
that the necessary small amount of dry sticks (not damaging trees) are a
better, much cheaper and less emitting fuel - as a first step to
conserve and improve their livelihood.

With kind regards

Dieter