[Stoves] Regenerative Capitalism (Jock Gill)

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:02:43 CDT 2015

By the way have any of you been following the progress of the 9.2billion
Nira stove distribution project that is ongoing in Nigeria - (some amazing
photos here from this excellent NGO (Aptly named 'Follow the Money' -
https://www.facebook.com/followthemoneyng).

It seems to be generating quite alot of controversy -
 http://www.punchng.com/opinion/the-fraud-called-clean-cookstoves/
<http://www.punchng.com/opinion/the-fraud-called-clean-cookstoves/> and
also Nigeria: How Graft Stalled Distribution of N9.3 Billion Clean Cook
Stoves <http://allafrica.com/stories/201505201261.html> about why, how and
which stoves will be distributed.

It seems that in this case the voices of 750,000 cooks are not as well
heard as the voice of a certain Mrs Lawrencia Laraba-Mallam
(Min. Environment).

Does anyone know where all this cash came from?

Best regards,

Teddy

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

Save trees - think twice before printing.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Frank Shields <franke at cruzio.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> not possible.
>>>
>>> Homogenizing the production and broadening the footprint of distribution
>>> of improved stoves carries great risks, mostly the risk of failure to
>>> adopt. Similarly the introduction of subsidized fuels has multiple intended
>>> and unintended consequences.
>>>
>>> With this in mind we should recognize there are two large scale agendas
>>> at work.
>>>
>>> The first is those who would replace the stoves with products that are
>>> far more efficient and flexible, attractive to own and worth investing in
>>> for comfort and pleasure with reduced PM and CO emissions and which make
>>> better use of the available energy carriers.
>>>
>>> The second is that group which seek to remove solid fuels altogether
>>> from the kitchen, promoting as they do and will, electricity, LPG, natural
>>> gas and light fraction liquid fuels.  Their byline is 'to provide clean
>>> cooking solutions to those who have traditionally been forced to burn solid
>>> fuels'.  The implication is that there are no 'clean-burning' solid fuels
>>> which rather sets their agenda against that of the first group.
>>>
>>> Old-timers may remember the contribution by Liz Bates (former editor of
>>> Boiling Point magazine) remarking on the improvement in the lives of cooks
>>> in Sudan who received subsidised LPG stoves and fuel. LPG is a wonderful
>>> solution to IAQ problems, but does LPG address all the social and material
>>> needs of the users of fire?
>>>
>>> Let's ask Cecil.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Crispin
>>>
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> Dear Jock,
>>>
>>> I found the article very stimulating. Of course, there is much that can
>>> be examined in terms of how the global stoves 'industry' is developing. For
>>> instance, if one examines the topics discussed at the ETHOS meetings year
>>> in and out, there are moments when clear shifts in what is being discussed
>>> (and who discusses) occur. As I read it, the broad trend has shifted from
>>> concerns of design, implementation, and marketing in context, to global
>>> markets (e.g. carbon credits, international testing standards, advocacy).
>>>
>>> This trajectory will have foreseeable benefits for energy-oriented
>>> bilateral agreements, mass manufacturers of stoves, NGOs/corporations that
>>> will tap into carbon offsets, and laboratories authorized to certify
>>> stoves, etc. Along with this is a strong *claim* that this global
>>> market-centric approach serves the 'poor' or the 'environment'.
>>>
>>> I wish to stay way from simple dichotomous arguments of global/local,
>>> top-down/bottom-up, standardized/pluralism, or laboratory/field, but
>>> certainly the 'regenerative capitalism' approach you suggest might demand a
>>> reconsideration of this trend towards standardization, scale, and
>>> donor-driven markets? What alternatives might your approach suggest?
>>>
>>> Your thoughts on this matter are appreciated!

>>> Samer