[Stoves] Regenerative Capitalism (Jock Gill)

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed Jun 3 22:08:26 CDT 2015

Dear Dean,

Now thats a lot of “cooks’!

Seems a lot like the groups i experienced with the composting groups made up of scientist, farmers, regulators, composters, sales etc. Nothing ever got accomplished as we would just argue back and force. Key, I’ve concluded, is to have a leader that keeps the group on a path of getting something brought to a conclusion. And that never happened. I hope your group is better.

The report by Baldwin I have downloaded but, for some reason, the .gif files did not come through. They seem important as they contain equations. I’m sure the report must be dated but I will take a look at what I have. Thanks.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com

> On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:36 PM, Dean Still <deankstill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Frank,
>
> No, the stove design information is needed from many equally important sources and hopefully adds up to the evolution of a successful product. In India we had cooks, distributors, manufacturers, funders, engineers, retailers, and community representatives on the stove design committee. The committee designs the product, oversees the development and the long term growth of the project.
>
> Each constituency has different perspectives, as you can imagine. Many types of tests, including sales,etc. are used that give information to the committee. This was outlined by Baldwin in "Biomass Stoves", 1987.
>
> Best,
>
> Dean
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Frank Shields <franke at cruzio.com <mailto:franke at cruzio.com>> wrote:
> Dear Dean,
>

> Very interesting.  So its the distributer that communicate to you, the designer, what the cook wants? I can understand the limitations on cost and weight, size etc. but to have little contact with the cook on these other decisions I would think that could create some misinformation. Perhaps that is why so many stoves in the past have been turned into flower pots? Distributors playing a big part in these decisions - I never would have guessed.
>
> Well I am just pigeon holed into the testing sectioned. :)
>
> re-done…
>
>>> 1) The cook tells the distributor what they want.
>>> 2) The designer makes the stove  do what the distributor wants.
>>> 3) The lab helps the designer with gap measurements, suggested materials that will work the best etc.
>>> 4) The lab tests all the stoves for the purpose of determining the ones that will work best for the distributor at a site.
> [...]
>>>
>>> Homogenizing the production and broadening the footprint of distribution of improved stoves carries great risks, mostly the risk of failure to adopt. Similarly the introduction of subsidized fuels has multiple intended and unintended consequences.
>>>
>>> With this in mind we should recognize there are two large scale agendas at work.
>>>
>>> The first is those who would replace the stoves with products that are far more efficient and flexible, attractive to own and worth investing in for comfort and pleasure with reduced PM and CO emissions and which make better use of the available energy carriers.
>>>
>>> The second is that group which seek to remove solid fuels altogether from the kitchen, promoting as they do and will, electricity, LPG, natural gas and light fraction liquid fuels.  Their byline is 'to provide clean cooking solutions to those who have traditionally been forced to burn solid fuels'.  The implication is that there are no 'clean-burning' solid fuels which rather sets their agenda against that of the first group.
>>>
>>> Old-timers may remember the contribution by Liz Bates (former editor of Boiling Point magazine) remarking on the improvement in the lives of cooks in Sudan who received subsidised LPG stoves and fuel. LPG is a wonderful solution to IAQ problems, but does LPG address all the social and material needs of the users of fire?
>>>
>>> Let's ask Cecil.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Crispin

>>> Dear Jock,
>>>
>>> I found the article very stimulating. Of course, there is much that can be examined in terms of how the global stoves 'industry' is developing. For instance, if one examines the topics discussed at the ETHOS meetings year in and out, there are moments when clear shifts in what is being discussed (and who discusses) occur. As I read it, the broad trend has shifted from concerns of design, implementation, and marketing in context, to global markets (e.g. carbon credits, international testing standards, advocacy).
>>>
>>> This trajectory will have foreseeable benefits for energy-oriented bilateral agreements, mass manufacturers of stoves, NGOs/corporations that will tap into carbon offsets, and laboratories authorized to certify stoves, etc. Along with this is a strong *claim* that this global market-centric approach serves the 'poor' or the 'environment'.
>>>
>>> I wish to stay way from simple dichotomous arguments of global/local, top-down/bottom-up, standardized/pluralism, or laboratory/field, but certainly the 'regenerative capitalism' approach you suggest might demand a reconsideration of this trend towards standardization, scale, and donor-driven markets? What alternatives might your approach suggest?
>>>
>>> Your thoughts on this matter are appreciated!

>>> Samer