[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jun 11 09:59:35 CDT 2015

Paul

Thanks for raising the profile and maintaining enthusiasm. Small and not very accurate smoke detectors are better than nothing at all.

I will include a description of how to 'make a plan' in the discussion of PM methods.

It has worried me that so much of the development work is done with no measuring at all. We get a lot of stoves for testing that can immediately be improved with a single test on the bench showing real time measurements.

I just finished a training session in Yogyakarta optimising several aspects of a very simple stove (looks like a bucket) using only the water heating rate‎ and a calculator. We were optimising the excess air level using the pot-stove gap as a control. The improved version of the stove is about 30% efficient compared with a lab tested 16% for the original. It wholesales for about 30 cents (!) and looks exactly like the original at a glance.

I have one lab test in hand and will pass it along if it is interesting. The point is if you are shown what to look for, you can do a lot with a little.

Can anyone produce a working, calibrated oxygen sensor from car parts? They are everywhere and good enough to inform the engine management computer.

Regards
Crispin in sunny, humid Jakarta

Stovers,

WONDERFUL!!!     Now this Listserv is really working together!!   So
summary of comments and thoughts thus far:

1.  MOST of us were almost unaware of the existence of Speck, and we
find out (thanks Christina) that there are many such types of units.

2.  But being inexpensive, they have issues of quality of the data.
Evidently not of sufficient quality for the HEALTH STUDIES requirements
of Kirk Smith and his crew.

3.  But for those of us in the "trenches" trying to understand how to
improve the stoves, these small detectors of PM could be of great
assistance.   If only to be able to detect whether the emissions are
improving or worsening would be useful for a stove designer to make
comparisons between one stove with two different variations.

4.  These smaller PM measurement devices have not yet entered into the
activities of Aprovecho (as developer of high precision instruments) and
therefore have not been part of Aprovecho activities for Stove Camps
where the inexpensive instruments might be of great interest.

5.  Will these PM sensors be part of Stove Camps?   Or when?   I do not
have any such sensors, and I am not intending to attend the Aprovecho
Stove Camp in July (27 to 31, I believe).   Dean and crew or some
attendee might arrange to have the PM sensors by then.

But there is another Stove Camp early next month (9 - 10 July) in
Ontario, Canada, headed by Crispin PP and Julien Winter and hosting
assistance by Alex English.   The focus will be on the RELATIVELY LOW
COST emissions testing equipment (and procedures) that Crispin knows so
well.  If you are not familiar with such equipment or want further
information and hands-on experience, consider attending. Information
about this Stove Camp about Testing is available from Julien, who I ask
to re-post to the Stoves Listserv the contact information and details /
agenda (with a new Subject line). So, perhaps further discussion about
the inexpensive PM measurement devices will be included at that event.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com