[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Jun 20 12:35:27 CDT 2015

Dear Andrew and Frank

Please consider that many of the 'particles' are not solid. Because the N American standards concentrated of 'dry dust' measurements taken above 400 degrees, there is a natural tendency to think of particles as little bits of carbon or sand.

Condensed particles are like droplets of fog that appear below 400 which is why 400 was chosen to eliminate them!

When they get to the lung surface they stick like fog condensation on a metal plate. They are no longer particles but chemical deposits. They don't retain their integrity and wander around like bits of sand. They blend in.

Most of the PM from a coal of wood fire is condensed particles not dry dust. Exposure to PM and disease estimates and 'what might be' are not obvious because there really are three things in that mix: condensed droplets of liquids/chemicals, black carbonaceous particles and other organic particles. BC and OC.

Obviously it is simplistic to group everything together. The particles emitted at the end of a burn will probably be very different from those emitted at the beginning. The dose-responses will be different too.

Lots of work still needed.

[Default] On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:55:13 -0700,Frank Shields
<franke at cruzio.com> wrote:

>Thinking the smoke effects the lungs by plastering and clogging the lungs with surface particles.  Could be effected more by tars and flat shaped than weight or size - but likely a combination of all.

Frank I'm by no means genned up on this subject but I think it's the
fact that the sooty particles are so small that they can migrate
through the mucous membrane walls. Once in the cells their mutagenic
properties can affect cell division.

AJH

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/